Monday, June 8, 2009

I'm So Hip... I Ship!

I really loved the shipping department. I'm more able to synthesize my previous rotations, and even the few days that I covered Lucy in Accounts Payable. I definitely got a good introduction to how Billing and Scheduling works in this department. And I felt like the work I got to do, shipping and receiving jobs, paper etc. was critical to our scheduling, as well as our customer satisfaction.

Here is a bullet point summary of what I was able to familiarize myself these past two weeks:

  • ordering Shipping supplies (monthly)
  • Fed Ex
  • UPS
  • Pioneer Express
  • Echo (a brief introduction)
  • 3rd Party Shipping
  • Recycling/Garbage schedule (aluminum plates recycled first day of the month)
  • International Paper Co. (our new recycling company)
  • shipping products and schematics (dummies) to vendors i.e. Apex Die
  • receiving paper (check for quantity, type, weight, color, size)! *this was enjoyable, because I made friends with our regular delivery guys
  • PSI - largely in house (use for vendors and receiving orders)
  • Filemaker Pro - use for client shipments and packing slips
  • making packing slips, job tags, and box labels
  • on the accounting side: the flow of Purchase Orders
  • will call
  • Print Broker paper shipments
  • departmental organization and vigilance
  • Chemical waste count needs to be kept down or else we could incur a fine...certain amounts are very dangerous. Shipping/Plant Manager order pick-ups.
  • LTL - less than truck load
  • Hot Shot - expedited direct shipping (no other stops)
  • TL - 16 skids and approx. 16,000 lbs.
  • Class 70 - printed material

No comments:

Post a Comment